Although games like tennis had been played throughout history, the closest game to the modern form was invented the year that Prince Edward Island entered Confederation in 1873. The inventor, Major Walter Wingfield, called the game, Sphairistikè, which translates from Greek to English as “playing ball”. It did not take long for the game to cross the Atlantic to Prince Edward Island.
The earliest demonstration of tennis in Charlottetown was in 1878 at Victoria Park. Sport historian, Charles Ballem, feels that the group was the nucleus of the Fitzroy Lawn Tennis Club. A later group of tennis players called the Micmac Lawn Tennis Club formed in 1883. The groups co-operated and held social, perhaps fundraising, events at the Lyceum Theatre as early as 1889. Tennis was the first sport on the Island where women played an active role.