Dr. Stephen Rice Jenkins was a medical doctor, politician and militia officer. He was educated at St. Peters School for Boys in Charlottetown and left for Kings College in Windsor, Nova Scotia. After training with his father, Dr. John Theophilus Jenkins, he attended the University of Pennsylvania where he graduated with his medical degree in 1884. Dr. S.R. Jenkins returned to Prince Edward Island in 1885, and after living in Tignish and later Cardigan, he settled in Charlottetown in 1888 where he practiced medicine.
Dr. Jenkins, his wife, Ellen Josephine Sweeney and their eleven children lived in the Charlottetown area for the rest of their lives, spending time at 67-69 Grafton Street (demolished) where his medical office and house was located, and later in Brighton Villa (demolished). In 1920, Jenkins purchased Brighton Villa and four acres of property from Robert Cotton. By 1922, Dr. Jenkins had obtained contractor, Leo Doyle to build a house on a portion of the four acres of his land at 82 Brighton Road. It is likely that a number of properties on the east side of Goodwill Avenue were built on property owned by the Dr. S.R. Jenkins family.