Wood and Fire

The southeast corner of Pownal and King Street looking toward Water Street after the Great Fire of 1866 <br> Photo courtesy of the Public Archives and Records Office

The southeast corner of Pownal and King Street looking toward Water Street after the Great Fire of 1866
Photo courtesy of the Public Archives and Records Office

Lonely fireplaces remain where houses and businesses once stood. Throughout the early years of the colony, the hearth was the centre of the home. It provided not only heat, but a way to cook one’s food. Indigenous peoples were harvesting wood from Prince Edward Island forests for thousands of years to provide heat. When Europeans arrived on the Island, they would often purchase wood from the First Nations which was used to heat city dwellings and businesses.

 

Previous   Next

Advertisements