Built in 1917, Dalton Hall was the second building constructed on the St. Dunstan’s College campus. Sir Charles Dalton (1850-1933) was a native of Tignish who became wealthy as a pioneer in the development of the Island’s silver fox farming industry. He would later serve as lieutenant governor (1930-1933) and receive a papal knighthood for his philanthropic work. Dalton Hall was built as a male residence with funds provided by the generous donor. Dalton Hall was originally going to be the Dalton Wing, which would have been added to Main Building, however it was decided that a separate building would be more suitable. Prominent architects, Chappell and Hunter designed the impressive structure and Harry Corcoran supervised the construction. Originally estimated to cost approximately 31 000 dollars, Dalton Hall would ultimately cost almost double at a total price of 59 639 dollars. The building was blessed and opened by the Papal Nuncio on 25 September 1919 and would continue to serve as a residence until 1972, when it was converted to classroom and office space. It has recently undergone a sympathetic restoration for which it has been honoured with a City of Charlottetown Heritage Award in 2019.