In 1892, St. Dunstan’s College worked out an arrangement with Laval University, whereby students of the College could complete a Laval Degree programme, thus making SDC the only degree granting institution in the Province. By 1917, the College was granted its own university charter from the Prince Edward Island Government, but it would not be until 1941, that the charter was activated. Interestingly, the first person to receive a St. Dunstan’s University degree was also the first woman graduate, Sr. Bernice Cullen, CSS. Interestingly, she had also attended Prince of Wales College. The following year, SDU became fully co-ed.