Prince of Wales College’s history can be traced back to 1804 when Lieutenant Governor Edmund Fanning granted two blocks of his own land “for the purpose of laying the foundation of a College for the education of youth in the learned languages, the arts and sciences, and all the branches of useful and polite literature.” The National School, and following that, the Normal School would be established on the site. The Normal School would be used to train teachers. Central Academy was built to the south in 1834 and after receiving upgrades in 1860, it was renamed Prince of Wales College in honour of the Prince of Wales’ (later King Edward VII) visit to the Island that year. Some of the more notable professors of Prince of Wales College can be found in the group in front of the building including Dr. Alexander Anderson (third from left) who became principal of Prince of Wales College and was spoken of highly by notables such as LM Montgomery, Sir Andrew MacPhail and Jacob Gould Schurman. Next to him, seated on the right is another future principal of Prince of Wales College and namesake of UPEI’s Robertson Library, Samuel Napier Robertson.