In 1870, the Christian Brothers would open St. Patrick’s School on the southwest corner of Richmond and Great George Streets. By 1880, the City School Board took over responsibility for the School and it was renamed Queen Square School. It was supposed to be nondenominational, but in practice it remained largely Roman Catholic. A large annex was built on to the rear of the building in 1930 and it faced onto Great George Street.
The young students in the photo are:
Back Row: Blaine Weatherbie, Emmett Joseph, Jimmy Harding, Paul Arsenault, Paul Jay, Wendell Hood, Alton Arsenault, Jackie Gillis, Barry McGillivray, Leonard Stull, Earl White, Alfred Duncan Middle Row: Louis Doiron, Vincent Weatherbie, Tommy King, Derrill Doyle, George Roberts, Wayne MacDonald, Jimmy Lawlor, Barry Costello, Wendell Cannon, Larry Gauthier Front Row: John Leightizer, Ralph Brown, George Pineau, Billy Toombs, and Harry Callaghan