In 1857, Daniel Brenan, a local Charlottetown businessman, donated property located on the corner of Sydney and Weymouth Street to the sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame. The nuns had been asked by Bishop B.D. Macdonald to come to the Island from Montreal to open a school. Due to increasing enrollment, in 1870, a 4 storey brick convent was constructed to the design of architect, John Corbett. In 1911, a 3 storey annex was added on to the east end of the property. The new addition was designed by architect, C.B. Chappell and built by B.D. Huntley. In 1971, after well over one hundred years of educating students, the last graduates of Notre Dame Academy received their diplomas. The sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame would continue to live in the convent until 2014, allowing various groups and organizations to use the building. It was purchased in 2014 and converted to the Sydney Boutique Inn and Suites.