Prince Street School began as the Wesleyan Day School in 1871. It had 14 classrooms and an attendance of 600 pupils with 2 acres of land for a playground. In 1877, the name of the school was changed to Upper Prince Street School, however following its purchase by the Provincial Government in 1890, it was renamed Prince Street School. A number of educational firsts are associated with Prince Street School. It was the first non-secular public school to open following the Provincial School Act, the first public school to offer a music program in Prince Edward Island and the first Island elementary school to include a library. In 1962, Prince Street School was a little tired so a new, modern school was constructed to the north.