St. Dunstan’s University’s predecessor, St. Andrew’s College, was the first institute of higher learning on the Island. In 1855, the college was relocated to the present day UPEI campus and renamed St. Dunstan’s College. Main Building, seen in the photo, was originally constructed of wood and later sheathed in brick imported from Tignish in 1862. In 1892, the College made an agreement with Laval University whereby it could grant degrees to those that followed the Laval Program. St. Dunstan’s received its own charter in 1917 and began granting degrees in its own name in 1941. The campus would continue to grow with new students and the construction of new buildings such as Dalton Hall (1917), Cass Chemistry Building (1939), Memorial Hall (1946) and sports facilities. Many more buildings would follow. In 1969, the Prince Edward Island Government merged Prince of Wales College (PWC) and St. Dunstan’s University (SDU) to form the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI). The former PWC buildings became Holland College and the SDU campus became the home of UPEI.