The Bog School was constructed in 1848 on the northwest corner of Kent and Rochford Street on land donated by Captain Orlebar (for whom Orlebar Street is named). It was built to serve the poorest community in the City. The area in which it was located, referred to locally as the Bog, was founded by former slave and later chimney sweep, Samuel Martin. The area would grow to become the largest community of Black and mixed race people on the Island. In 1868, the School was replaced with the one pictured above that was a larger version of the original school. Pictured behind the Bog School is West Kent School. It was designed by well-known architect, Thomas Alley and constructed in 1878 to serve the students of the west end of the City. Interestingly, it was almost a twin to the Prince Street School building. West Kent School would eventually be torn down to make way for the Public Administration Buildings and a new West Kent School was constructed on Viceroy Avenue in 1962.