The Hotel Davies, later the Hotel Victoria, was built before 1900. The section to the east is older than the turreted corner section. Unfortunately, on January 12, 1929 disaster struck in the form of a fire and the building lay in ashes. As a result, the City was unable to accommodate an increasing tourist and commercial trade. In response to the predicament, a party of citizens under the direction of Hon. A. E. Arsenault traveled to Montreal to appeal to Sir Henry Thornton of the Canadian National Railway (CNR) to build a new hotel. To the group’s astonishment, Thornton proposed a far grander edifice than the one they had envisioned. The decision of the CNR to construct this hotel was part of a national policy to serve their customers in each province. The hotel (now the Rodd Charlottetown Hotel) was designed and constructed by the CNR, and opened for business 14 April 1931.