Originally named North Square, for United Kingdom Prime Minister, Lord Frederick North, it would later be renamed King Square for the British monarch. The space was set aside in 1771 in the design of the revised plan of Charlottetown undertaken by surveyor, Thomas Wright on order of Governor Walter Patterson. Newspaper reports reveal much of what is known about the greenspace. The 20 January 1825 edition of the Prince Edward Island Register called for sealed tenders for the fencing of King Square. It is not clear exactly when the fence was put up or if animals were pastured within its boundaries as they were in at least two of the other town squares. The Daily Examiner reported on 2 May 1888 that an effort was made the previous year to improve King and Hillsborough Squares however; the writer did not feel that enough was being done. He lamented that both squares, which were formerly well kept, were no longer useful or ornamental. At some point, it was improved however, as it is now an attractive green space complete with mature trees, flower beds and asphalt paths. Playground equipment also became part of the landscape at one time as we can see in the image.