Prior to incorporation, the city’s fire service was often handled by the British regular forces and citizens of the town. Fire Wardens, who were chosen from the community, had the authority to conscript individuals into bucket brigades (a system where citizens lined up with their buckets to pass water along to fight the fire). When the Charlottetown Fire Department was formed in December of 1855, the Fire Wardens included a number of prominent citizens including future Fathers of Confederation: George Coles, Edward Whelan and Thomas Heath Haviland. By December 1855, Fire Engine No.1, the Prince Edward, a 37 year old engine and Fire Engine No. 2, a newer machine, were turned over to the Department. Because Charlottetown had no water system yet, these old engines would be fed water by the aforementioned bucket brigade.