The Bandstand on Queen Square Postcard, c.1910

The Bandstand on Queen Square, Postcard <Br> Postcard courtesy of the City of Charlottetown Archives

The Bandstand on Queen Square, Postcard
Postcard courtesy of the City of Charlottetown Archives

In 1895, a bandstand was erected on the north side of Queen Square. The hexagonal building was built by Messrs. Parkman and Crabbe just northeast of the Cabot Building (demolished). Regular summer evening concerts were held here and became so popular that they were featured in tourism literature for 50 years afterward.

According to one brochure from 1899, “Band concerts are given on certain evenings of the week in Queen Square Gardens, where the youth and beauty of Charlottetown may be seen promenading or resting on the rustic benches that surround the cooling fountain.”

Previous   Next

Advertisements