Hillsborough Boating Club, c. 1910

Photo courtesy of Edward G Rice Postcard Collection, City of Charlottetown Archives

Photo courtesy of Edward J Rice Postcard Collection, City of Charlottetown Archives

Charlottetown’s seaside location and reliance on the water meant that pleasure craft and boat racing were among the earliest sports in the City. Pictured here is the Hillsborough Boating Club which was located at the foot of Prince Street. The Club had been in existence since prior to 1874 and held numerous regattas. The building was constructed in the early 1900s and located at the foot of Prince Street. Note the Railway Car Shop in the background. It would be years before the Charlottetown Yacht Club was built at the foot of Pownal Street.

 

Previous    Next