Coal Delivery by Horse and Wagon, the corner of Queen and Grafton Street, 1958

oal Delivery by Horse and Wagon, the corner of Queen and Grafton Street, 1958 <br> Library and Archives Canada / National Film Board fonds / e011176837

Coal Delivery by Horse and Wagon, the corner of Queen and Grafton Street, 1958
Library and Archives Canada / National Film Board fonds / e011176837

The cannon in front of Apothecaries Hall was used to bear a flag and was used as a hitching post since Theophilus DesBrisay placed it out in front of his shop on the northeast corner of Grafton and Queen Street in the 1860s. Hitching posts or rails, lined the streets of Charlottetown for over one hundred years, until the automobile became more common and eventually, the hitching post gave way to the parking meter. The delivery of coal would also cease in the following years as the oil furnace took over as a preference for heating City homes.

 

Previous    Next