Harness racing has always been a popular activity in Charlottetown. Competitions between neighbours to see whose horse could run faster were common in and around the City. St. Peters Road was a particularly well known place for saddle racing to take place. 130 years ago this year on the 2 October 1889, the Charlottetown Driving Park was opened for standard bred harness racing and there have been horse races there ever since. The Charlottetown Driving Park consisted of an oval racetrack, a two-storey grandstand and the Judges’ Stand. The Judges Stand is still standing and remains a monument to the harness racing industry in Charlottetown.