Before the City had acquired a water system in 1888, water was obtained through public pumps that were sometimes contaminated. Drainage from the streets and sometimes sewage from privies found its way into wells. Outbreaks of disease blamed on impure water closed public pumps. In 1869, Charlottetown City Council licensed James Hughes and Patrick Hann to deliver spring water from Grey’s Spring (the present day Spring Park Plaza) to the citizens at a cost of no more than 1 penny per bucket. The image depicts the delivery vehicle and the patient horse that pulled it.