The Brass House is the oldest of our extant railway buildings. Constructed as part of the Prince Edward Island Railway in 1876, it has survived multiple fires at the rail yard and remains one of only two reminders of the railway on the waterfront.
The building has served multiple functions throughout the years, including the car shop for the narrow gauge rail, the space where brass components for the trains were constructed, and offices. Purchased by the Charlottetown Area Development Corporation, it underwent an extensive restoration in 1996. The architect for the project was Brian Gillis.