There was not always a municipal government in Charlottetown. Prior to incorporation in 1855, the area was administered by the colonial government while assorted volunteers and committees looked after various areas such as health, wells and firefighting. Two major events in the colony’s history led to incorporation. In 1851, Responsible Government was granted to Prince Edward Island, which resulted in increased public interest in political affairs. The second event was the outbreak of the Crimean War in 1853, which drew the British Regulars out of town permanently. Since the capital was a garrison town with British soldiers housed just south of Connaught Square, these soldiers tended to look after law and order in the town. When the troops were recalled in 1853, “Charlotte Town” was left with little means to maintain public safety. Incorporation was considered by the colonial legislature in 1853 and again the following year, but finally in 1855, the bill to incorporate the City of Charlottetown received enough support to pass and our City was born! By August of the same year, during the first council meeting, six police officers and a chief were hired and what is now Charlottetown Police Services officially came into being.